Whether you are looking for talented hires for your company, seeking to expose your products and services, or enhancing your brand engagement, don’t miss the opportunity to exhibit at the 2019 AAJA National Convention Career Fair & Expo.
For 2019, recruiters and exhibitors have more options available, from the traditional exhibitor booths, to private interview and meeting spaces, to advance access to attendees and their resumes. Join an elite group of exhibitors and connect with our professional journalists, students and media executives.
A reimagined recruiting and expo experience: this year, AAJA will offer a curated, digital experience to maximize recruiting and networking opportunities. A new recruitment experience will allow recruiters and potential candidates to develop a relationship and begin the vetting process months before convention – an enhanced experience that will highlight emerging leaders and journalists.
The 2019 Career Fair & Expo days and times are as follows:
Thursday, August 1, 9am – 6pm
Friday, August 2, 9am – 6pm
Payment may also be submitted by check and we are happy to send an invoice. Please direct questions about the expo to Justin Seiter at email@example.com.
See rates and more information below. One booth comes with two (2) exhibitor registrations. Additional exhibitor registrations may be purchased for $200 each. Premium booth space is available to all companies for an additional $250 per day of Exhibitor Booth purchase, or $500 for the 2-Day Exhibitor Booth option. The deadline to secure booth and interview spaces is Friday, July 12, or until spaces are full.
Don’t forget to book hotel rooms for your exhibitors! The deadline to book with AAJA’s discounted rate of $184/night is Thursday, June 27, or until the room block is full.
For Media Companies
For Media Companies + Early Access to Attendee Resumes
For Nonprofits, Journalism Schools & Ethnic Media Organizations
For Non-Media (Corporate) Companies
Rules & Regulations (Subject to Change)
RULES & REGULATIONS
Nothing shall be constructed, built, installed or used as part of or in connection with any exhibit that does not conform with the requirements of federal, state and municipal laws, ordinances, fire codes and regulations. AAJA retains the right to make additional rules and regulations as deemed necessary and proper.
Booth dimensions and included items are TBD. Additional furniture, computer hookups, electrical outlets and internet access is not included and can be ordered through an exhibitor kit; details will be provided at a later date.
1. EXHIBIT SPACE. The exhibit space contracted for herein is to be used strictly by the Exhibitor whose name appears on the Contract for the space. It is specifically understood and agreed that the Exhibitor will neither sublet nor assign any portion of the space contracted for herein. Exhibitors who resell or sublet space or render their badges to unauthorized persons will forfeit their exhibit space and/or future privileges. Exhibitor must show only the goods and services they manufacture, distribute or provide in the regular course of business. No individual, company or organization not assigned exhibit space will be permitted to solicit business within the exhibit area. No exhibits or displays of any kind are permitted in rooms or suites.
2. INDEMNITY. Exhibitor agrees to indemnify and hold harmless AAJA from any and all liability to any person or persons of any conditions of the Rules and Regulations, or by any reason of any condition, defective or otherwise, of any apparatus, equipment or fixtures furnished by Exhibitor in connection with its exhibit. Exhibitor further agrees to hold harmless AAJA, its officers, directors, employees and members from any act or omission of said Exhibitor, or any of its agents, servants or employees. Indemnity includes, but is not limited to, claims or copyright, trademark or patent infringement, unfair competition and product liability. The Exhibitor, on submissions of the Career Fair & Expo Booth and Exhibitor Registration Form, expressly releases the forenamed association and individuals from any and all claim for such loss, damage or injury. Further, Exhibitor assumes the entire responsibility and liability for losses, damages and claims arising out of injury or damage to Exhibitor’s displays, equipment or other property brought upon the premises.
3. USE OF AISLES, ETC. The aisles, passageways and overhead spaces remain strictly under control of AAJA, and no signs, decorations, banners, advertising matter or special exhibits will be permitted in them except by special permission granted by AAJA. All exhibits must remain within the confines of their own spaces.
4. SECURITY NON-LIABILITY. AAJA will provide security during the hours the exhibit area is closed, but will have no liability for any loss or damage sustained by Exhibitor during such hours or any other time, whatever the cause.
5. BOOTH LOCATIONS AND FLOOR PLAN. Whenever possible, space assignments will be made by AAJA in keeping with the preferences specified by the Exhibitor. AAJA, however, reserves the right to make the final determination of all space assignments in the best interest of the exposition. AAJA reserves the right to alter the booth layout and location of the exhibit spaces, at its sole discretion, in the best interest of the exposition. Exhibit(s) must be confined to and within the space(s) leased.
6. FORCE MAJEURE. Should any emergency arise prior to the opening date of the exhibit that would prevent its scheduled opening, including but not limited to acts of God, government authority, disaster, terrorist attack in the location of hotel, civil unrest or other emergencies, any of which make it inadvisable, illegal or impossible to provide the facilities for the exhibit halls, it is expressly understood and agreed that AAJA may reschedule the event as near to the original date and site as possible. AAJA may retain as much as the pre-payment for exhibit spaces as it deems necessary to cover expenses incurred should it be impossible to reschedule the conference. Regardless of the reason for cancellation or postponement of the convention, AAJA will not be held responsible for any loss by Exhibitor resulting therefrom.
7. EXHIBITOR APPOINTED CONTRACTORS. Should Exhibitor utilize an exhibit contractor other than the Official Show Contractor, AAJA and Official Show Contractor will require a certificate of insurance and list of all workers’ names assigned and a signed EAC form, 30 days prior to event.
8. FREIGHT HANDLING/DRAYAGE. The Official Show Contractor shall handle all Exhibitor freight shipments within convention facility. The use of loading areas/docks will be limited to Official Show Contractor exclusively. Exhibitor may not hand carry exhibitory into the exhibit area through the “front of house” entrances. The use of dollies, hand trucks or wheeled carts by Exhibitor in common areas, services areas, or on the exhibit floor is prohibited.
9. NON-ENDORSEMENT. The exhibiting of products and services does not constitute an endorsement by AAJA of any product or service exhibited. Exhibitors are not permitted to represent in any manner that its goods or services have been endorsed by AAJA.
10. OFFICIAL CONTRACTOR. Exhibitor must use exposition management-appointed contractors for electrical work, plumbing, material handling, rigging, cleaning, standard show rental furniture and floor covering, and telephones. Official show contractors are recommended for other services. Order forms are provided in the exhibitor kit.
11. DAMAGE TO PROPERTY. Exhibitor is liable for any damage caused to building floors, walls or columns, or to standard booth equipment, or to another exhibitor’s property or the convention venue.
12. SET-UP AND DISMANTLING. Set-up and dismantling dates and times are TBD.
13. CANCELLATION POLICY. All requests for refunds must be submitted in writing to the AAJA National Office (5 Third Street, #1108, San Francisco, CA 94103) or to firstname.lastname@example.org, and received on or before 4 p.m. PST July 12, 2019. A $150 fee will be deducted from booth cancellations. No refunds after July 12, 2019. No refund requests by phone. There will be no exceptions.
AAJA CODE OF CONDUCT
AAJA believes that our events should be open to all members and AAJA guests. We’re committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity or religion.
This code of conduct outlines our expectations for attendees' behavior at AAJA national and local events as well as the consequences of unacceptable behavior. We expect all participants (speakers, attendees, staff and other guests) to abide by this code of conduct at all event venues and event-related social functions.
First and foremost, treat everyone with respect. Participate while acknowledging that everyone deserves respectful treatment, and that every participant has the right to enjoy their experience at AAJA without fear of harassment or discrimination.
• Be considerate, respectful and collaborative.
• Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
• Immediately inform AAJA’s executive director or the president in person, by phone or e-mail if you experience a distressful situation.
• Many AAJA events are shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
Unacceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to: intimidating, threatening, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, demeaning or disorderly conduct, or possession, use, or distribution of any illegal substances. AAJA does not tolerate the use or abuse of illegal substances at any of the venues where AAJA events are held.
Harassing conduct can take many forms and may include, but is not limited to, the following: slurs, offensive jokes, statements, gestures, photographs, drawings, cartoons or pictures, assault, impeding or blocking another's movement or otherwise physically interfering with activities, conducting unwanted audio or visual recordings, violating someone's “personal space,” engaging in leering, stalking, staring, intimidating or threatening behavior, or making offensive communications such as in the form of emails, telephone calls, voicemails, text messages or social media.
Sexually harassing conduct in particular may include all of these prohibited actions, as well as other unwelcome conduct, such as requests for sexual favors, conversation containing sexual comments, physical contact, lewd or offensive behavior or language, and other unwelcome sexual advances. Sexually harassing conduct can be by a person of either the same or opposite sex.
AAJA reserves the right in its sole discretion to determine what constitutes unacceptable behavior.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated whether by other attendees, media, speakers, or venue staff. Anyone asked to stop engaging in unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, AAJA may take any action we deem appropriate, up to and including immediate expulsion without warning from the event and without refund of any registration or other fees, and revocation of your membership in AAJA.
This code of conduct applies to all participants at all AAJA events, including chapter events. Any concerns should be reported to the local chapter president and/or national staff or president. Please immediately notify security staff and/or AAJA executive director or president as soon as possible, in person, by phone or e-mail.
What to Do If You Witness or Are Subject to Unacceptable Behavior
Speak up! Harassment will not be tolerated at AAJA.
If you are subject to unacceptable behavior, notice that someone else is being subject to unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please immediately notify security staff and/or AAJA executive director or president as soon as possible, in person, by phone or e-mail. Please also notify appropriate law enforcement if necessary.
AAJA will be available to help participants contact venue security or local law enforcement, to provide escorts, or to otherwise assist those experiencing unacceptable behavior to feel safe for the duration of the event.